Thursday, July 2, 2009

Bumper Stickers

While I was driving around the Midtown region of Raleigh the other day, I saw the following two bumper stickers on a car.
If you call one animal a pet how can you eat another and call it dinner?

Torturing one animal is called cruelty, torturing many is called science.

These bumper stickers have reminded me of a few things I have read lately. Such as.... According to Diet for a New America, over a billion people could be fed by the grain and soybeans eaten by U.S. livestock every year.

And......From the National Geographic Mag......... With sizable brains and dexterous arms, octopuses are known to block their dens with rocks and amuse themselves shooting water at plastic bottle targets and lab staff. They may even express basic emotions by changing color, according to the Seattle Aquarium.

so, Going Veg..........reduces personal annual greenhouse gas emissions by 1.5 tons
........ saves forests and wetlands from conversion to pasture and feed cropland
........ conserves water supplies

Just some food for thought. I'll get down off my soap box now. I know, I know this is suppose to be an 'artsy' blog.

lsk

2 comments:

  1. I highly recommend the movie, "Food Inc." a documentary about our industrial food industry. Really sobering investigative reporting on where our food comes from. Based on a lot of Michael Pollan's work ("The Omnivore's Dilemma").

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I have heard that movie is suppose to be good. Is that the movie with the piglets at the slaughter house??

    ReplyDelete

LuLu

LuLu

Shino mugs

Shino mugs

About Walk the Dog Arts

My photo
'Walk the Dog Arts' is made up of 3 best friends: LuLu, a smart, sweet Lab-mix, & her 'People', Debbie & Laurie!
Powered By Blogger